Re: IRIS DEVELOPMENT: WHY DONT WE USE OTHER PLANT POLLEN FOR RA...

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] IRIS DEVELOPMENT: WHY DONT WE USE OTHER PLANT POLLEN FOR RA...
  • From: "David Ferguson" manzano57@msn.com
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 20:53:45 -0600
  • Seal-send-time: Mon, 15 May 2006 20:53:45 -0600

I'm getting a kick reading about the Pine pollen here.  I'm guessing that the first suggestion that it caused this was mutation was presented as a bit of a joke?  That's the way I took it anyway.

I am very impressed by the flower itself.  It is amazing just how different the two halves of the flower are.  It is a window into two possibilities that can result from exactly the same genetic makeup (perhaps with some inhibitor turned on or off?).

Now if somebody was growing a piece of the "wrong" part that was producing blue flowers, and if the label had come with it as being 'Being Busy', and if that somebody posted a photo.  We would all gang up and say "wrong!", but in reality it would be quite correct!  It would be a sport of 'Being Busy', but still genetically it would be 'Being Busy'.

I wonder how often our "wrong" Iris are actually such sports.  I know it's a rare occurrence, but not unheard of.

Dave

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS