Re: Re: SPEC-X: Flying Dragon

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: SPEC-X: Flying Dragon
  • From: "David Ferguson" manzano57@msn.com
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 21:07:25 -0600
  • Seal-send-time: Mon, 15 May 2006 21:07:25 -0600

Tom,

I'm thinking that is possible that your 'Flying Dragon' may already be an amphidiploid.  If one parent is indeed tetraploid it seems possible that it may have grown because it had a balanced set of chromosomes, and everything "worked", the result of that unreduced gamete from I. tectorum that you've been hoping for.  That may be why it is making some pollen.

Of course time will tell, and this may be totally incorrect.

By the way.  My personal opinion is that you have a very good shot at amphidiploid hybrids being fertile.  It seems not only probable to me, but likely.

Dave

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS