Re: Re: SPEC-X: Flying Dragon

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Re: SPEC-X: Flying Dragon
  • From: thomas silvers tesilvers@yahoo.com
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 04:42:44 -0700 (PDT)

Dave Ferguson wrote:

>Tom,
>I'm thinking that is possible that your 'Flying
Dragon' may
>already be an amphidiploid.  If one parent is indeed
>tetraploid it seems possible that it may have grown
>because it had a balanced set of chromosomes, and
everything "worked", the result of that unreduced
>gamete from I. tectorum that you've been hoping for.
>That may be why it is making some pollen.
>
>Of course time will tell, and this may be totally
>incorrect.
>
>By the way.  My personal opinion is that you have
>a very good shot at amphidiploid hybrids being
>fertile.  It seems not only probable to me, but
>likely.
>
>Dave

Dave,
You've mentioned what I'd just thought of last week,
but was a little reluctant to mention... that FLYING
DRAGON could quite possibly already be an
amphidiploid. As you mentioned, an unreduced [diploid]
gamete from diploid Iris tectorum could have combined
with a normal [diploid] gamete from a tetraploid
bearded iris. This would give an amphidiploid that
should be relatively fertile. I hadn't considered this
possibility for FLYING DRAGON until I had compared the
flower to PALTEC.

The wider, almost overlapping flower segments and
presence of a little pollen made me doubt that FLYING
DRAGON is just a diploid hybrid. I originally had
thought that it was maybe a sort of triploid (normal
haploid gamete from tectorum and normal diploid gamete
from tetraploid bearded) but now I've got to wonder if
I don't already have what I've been working toward.

I used what little pollen there was (from FLYING
DRAGON) to pollinate some blooms on PALTEC and also to
do some selfings. I'm crossing my fingers that one of
these will take.
Tom

http://mail.yahoo.com

http://us.click.yahoo.com/DHchtC/3FxNAA/yQLSAA/2gGylB/TM