Re: Re: SPEC-X: Flying Dragon

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Re: SPEC-X: Flying Dragon
  • From: Walter Pickett waltseed2@yahoo.com
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 18:44:21 -0700 (PDT)

Tom, I am thrilled to learn that you find some pollen on Flying Dragon.
If I may use an analogy from arilbred breeding, some arilbred triploids are said to have some fertility.  The same may be true or "crestbred" triploids.
Naturally, we can't rule out the possiblity that Flying Dragon is a tetraploid.  Dr Carl Clayberg was convinced that when the first tetrapolid bearded iris (other than I. aphylla) was introduced and used for breeding, there were enough tetraploid seedlings from the tetraploid x di[ploid and the reverse to believe that there was a strong tendency for unreduced gametes to be selected for in the cross.
So using the old tetraploid iris as an analogy, it might be that you many tetraploid seedlings.
So either is possible.  Whatever it is, try to breed from it.  I wonder what a 3/4 TB 1/4 tectorum would look like.
I'll be wanting Flying Dragon as soon as it is availible.
Walter.

How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messengerís low PC-to-Phone call rates.

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS