Re: Re: SPEC-X: Flying Dragon

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Re: SPEC-X: Flying Dragon
  • From: thomas silvers tesilvers@yahoo.com
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 04:45:00 -0700 (PDT)

Walter Pickett wrote:
>Tom, I am thrilled to learn that you
>find some pollen on Flying Dragon.
>If I may use an analogy from arilbred breeding,
>some arilbred triploids are said to have some
>fertility.  The same may be true for "crestbred"
>triploids.
>Naturally, we can't rule out the possiblity
>that Flying Dragon is a tetraploid.  Dr Carl Clayberg

>was convinced that when the first tetraploid bearded
>iris (other than I. aphylla) was introduced and used
>for breeding, there were enough tetraploid seedlings
>from the tetraploid x diploid and the reverse to
>believe that there was a strong tendency for
>unreduced gametes to be selected for in the cross.
>So using the old tetraploid iris as an analogy,
>it might be that you many tetraploid seedlings.
>So either is possible.  Whatever it is, try to
>breed from it.  I wonder what a 3/4 TB 1/4 tectorum
>would look like.
>I'll be wanting Flying Dragon as soon as it is
>availible.
>Walter.

Thanks Walter. I'm pretty excited about that pollen
too.
Yesterday I did four or five more selfings. I know
that
it's a long shot, since 'Flying Dragon' would have to
be not only fertile but also self-compatible. But, it
doesn't look like any of the 'Paltec' blooms
pollinated
by 'Flying Dragon' have taken. So, I figured selfing
was, at least worth a try. I hadn't thought of using
its pollen on tetraploid bearded. [Thanks for that
idea]
However, I did try using tetraploid bearded pollen on
it last year (or was that on 'Paltec'???) and it
caused
the pods to darken and hang on for longer than normal,

but I didn't get any mature pods or seeds.
I guess some more attempts along those lines are
warranted.
Thanks again, Tom

P.S. I'll have to find out from Greg McCullough at
Iris
City Gardens, how 'Flying Dragon' is doing for him.
And
if it's doing alright, when he thinks it might be
ready
for introduction.
Also, stay tuned... I've got two more probable
"crestbreds"
that haven't bloomed yet -- they're only a year old.
One of them is really vigorous and has a good chance
of
being something other than purple.

http://mail.yahoo.com

http://us.click.yahoo.com/.7bhrC/MGxNAA/yQLSAA/2gGylB/TM