Re: Does Anyone Recognize this Variegata?

  • Subject: [PHOTO] Re: [iris-photos] Does Anyone Recognize this Variegata?
  • From: Patricia Wenham h.schinkep@verizon.net
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 09:27:19 -0700

Your iris looks like the historic iris, Wabash.  The colors are the same as mine and the lighter beard tip is the same.  I thought the white line on the fall was different than mine but when I went out to check my blooms I found that some of the blooms had the white line that I see on yours.  It made me realize that I had looked but not really seen this old friend in my garden.  It is a tough plant and has moved from coastal WA to the northern most area of Central WA where it is dry, dry, dry and then south of there 100 miles in late November but it bloomed the next spring.  It fought for space as a smoke tree has grown and I will move it to an open area this summer and am very confident it will bloom next year.  I believe it was registered in 1936.  It was a Dykes Medal winner in 1940.

Patti
USDA Zone 5 WA state at the foot of the Cascade Mts.

Linda Hunt wrote:
This showed up yesterday morning to my surprise.  Blooming quite late in the season since most TB's are bloomed out right now.  It has a glowing affect at it's center that is hard to catch on film.  Any help you have would be greatly appreciated.  Have a great day all!
Linda in Lascassas