  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos]Sdlg:1816
  • From: Autmirislvr@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 08:48:52 EDT

I'm posting this to make Robin feel better!  <vbg>  This iris has the garden name of 1816-mud.  TARA'S CHOICE X UNKNOWN (RITUAL/REGIMEN).  One of the two.
It's one of the 7 or 8 from the cross that are trying to open fall blooms here in KY.  They try harder each fall so maybe this year?
Some might ask why I save her, much less use her in additional crosses??
MUD, as she is lovingly referred to, is a good grower, tall, well branched, & multi budded with triple sockets (all) and lower branches.  On one stalk, she bloomed from the first of the bloom season until just days ago.  (there were other stalks) Great garden qualities.
Siblings to MUD are white, yellow, lavender, burgundy, selfs, banded, bi-tones and overlays.   I'm intrigued to see what other secrets she might hold.  But, of course, more work is needed.
 I looked for a picture that showed her as I best remember her, but apparently I didn't take more after that first day!  Color is correct, but the form is quite a bit better than this first picture.  This one is a bit shop worn.
MUD is maturing a pod from a red seedling that contains strong rebloom genes.
I should have used her MORE because of the other great qualities!  Just got busy.
Color?  Sometimes it takes blind faith to take it to that next generation.  Maybe it's wasted space, but maybe not!
If you don't cross them, you can't  plant them!
Betty W. in South-central KY Zone 6 ---
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website:
Reblooming Iris - Home Page
iris-photos archives