HYB: TB sdlg Oretta's Shadow x Romantic Evening

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] HYB: TB sdlg Oretta's Shadow x Romantic Evening
  • From: mahlberg s s_j_mahlberg@yahoo.com
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 14:30:07 -0700 (PDT)

Hello everyone,
I would appreciate input from anyone who cares to comment about this flower.
Be honest and "pick on the faults". I'm learning as i go on, as we all are, and any input is helpful and deeply appreciated. I won't be offended at all.

I am a bit anxious, so I'm posting this pic of my new baby just a little before she opens fully.
It's not quite fully opened here, but is very close.
The plant is about 31.5" in height.
The cross is allegedly Oretta's Shadow x Romantic Evening.
I acquired these seeds from another party, and that is the claim for this seedlings parents.
I like the color, yeah, yeah, another purple.. but I like the velevety black edging.
The yellow beards are kind of nice too.
Not sure about keeping this one, the form doesn't seem to be anything special, small number of branches and buds.
I am not sure how different things may be in future years as this is it's maiden bloom. I will hang on to her for at least a couple of seasons to see what happens.

I have a question about this flower for other hybridizers.
See the fall on the bottom of the pic? It appears to be split in half by a nice white line. Not sure how many, if anyone, has ever encountered something like this before? I don't think it's broken color pattern, it looks like a defect on the back of the flower, as well, that reaches to the ovary on that fall. I am not sure if it's  a genetic or environmental defect. Perhaps it's something to do with the broken color pattern, I don't know nearly enough about iris genetics to fathom an uneducated guess.

I have one more seedling, which looks much darker peeking past the spathes.
I will post more pics as the other seedling opens.
I can also post a few other shots of this seedling if anyone wants to see them.

Thanks for looking.
steve m. zone 4b northeast minnesota

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

JPEG image