Re: Re: gargoyles (was Faerie tricks)

  • Subject: Re: Re: gargoyles (was Faerie tricks)
  • From: "Eleanor Hutchison" <eleanore@mts.net>
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 08:19:46 -0600

That type of weather is the real problem; freeze/thaw happens here a lot in early spring.  This year, we had about 10 days of nice weather, which melted most of the several feet of snow.  Then, most of my new iris looked great in my 3 nursery beds, with no heaving either.  I was about to do the happy iris dance, when it got colder and colder, then snowed, which lasted another few weeks.  By the time that finally melted, many of the new iris had heaved themselves right out of the soil and it was too frozen to push them back in.  My husband picked up a few bags of sand, which I then hucked on each new iris; took me 2 days.  Looks like it may have helped though, since it looks like I may have only lost 10 of over 200 new irises, which is about average.

Interesting to note that the new iris planted at the end of July or the beginning of August, didn't heave.  Only the ones planted closer to the end of Aug hucked themselves out of the soil.

El

Eleanor Hutchison, MIS & DIS Display Garden
Ste Anne, near Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada Z3