Re: Made my first cross today!

  • Subject: Re: Made my first cross today!
  • From: "donald" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 11:58:49 -0000

Hello Billy,

> Well, I'm standing their today, looking at two different clumps of
iris, side by side....And I say to myself...SELF! Don't just stand
there, cross something!

The 'because they're there' syndrome. Plans tend to fall by the
wayside anyway because things don't bloom at the right time or
something doesn't bloom at all. Usually, though, even though such
spur of the moment crosses are made, they still involve choices. In
that respect they aren't entirely as random as generally thought.
After all, you apparently had Holy Night available and it couldn't
have been that far to walk over and use instead. Your choice seems
reasonable to me.

>a large bumblebee coated with pollen on his back, come flying over
from just a few away after spending some time on Holy Night and
climbs right into every flower that I apllied pollen

I've never seen a bumblebee on the irises here. Honey bees and a
myriad of other insects (mostly bad ones). Bumblebees tend to show
up after iris bloom is finished. So I don't get many natural pods,
but they happen occasionally.

Good luck. You'll have fun growing and seeing the results.

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Top Scientist

10 Greatest Ever