curioser and curioser

  • Subject: curioser and curioser
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 11:33:26 -0500

Here's something I've never seen before. Some sort of proliferations, I
guess. These fans are putting out on what were frozen bloomstalks. On the
top two photos and the bottom photo, you can see the bloomstalk. These
stalks were frozen in the fan. Usually they shrivel and die. The fourth
photo is a clump that had 5 fans and all were going to bloom and got frozen.
The two rhizomes on the left are putting on the proliferations and this
shows how they look before the leaf growth is peeled away. Probably the
other three will shrivel and die, but I don't know this year. The middle
photo is on a clump where two of the frozen stalks put on a bunch of fans on
the frozen stalk base. Didn't count how many, but there's a lot of fans on
the two stalks. These are all from a ZERZURA X JEHOSAPHAT'S RELIANCE group
of seedlings and none of these managed to bloom. Those that did manage a
blooming stalk and still had stalks frozen in the fan aren't exhibiting this
behavior. One other seedling from another cross is also doing this. Since
some of these would have been frozen bloomouts, it's a chance to perhaps
salvage the seedlings for another year, but I'm not sure how to approach
handling the proliferations. Anyone experienced this before? Any
suggestions for turning them into plants? I think they probably won't
survive if simply left as proliferations. The rhizomes don't seem very

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group