Re: curiouser and curiouser

  • Subject: Re: curiouser and curiouser
  • From: "donald" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 13:15:10 -0000

Hello Jan,

> I had this happen with a couple of Spurias in 2005. When I
>mentioned it at least 2 other club members had had it happen. We
>are in So. Calif, - Los Angeles - and freezing was NOT a factor.

Freezing was a factor here in that it killed the bud portion of the
stalk, but not the lower part. Timing has to be a major part of the
effect, I think. The same thing could probably be achieved by
cutting a growing stalk off at the right time under the right
conditions. That would be useful in salvaging a bloomout cultivar if
one knew the timing. And depending on what percentage would then put
on proliferations. Not every frozen bloomout is trying the trick and
the hort.net archives of Iris Talk indicate the phenomenon is not
common, to say the least. One frozen bloomout seedling that I'd
dearly love to salvage isn't trying. Not so far anyway. It will
probably shrivel and die sometime this summer as is the usual case
with stalks frozen in the fan. I do have lots and lots of experience
with those, unfortunately.

Donald

__._,_.___
Recent Activity