Re: Re: curiouser and curiouser

  • Subject: Re: Re: curiouser and curiouser
  • From: Jan Lauritzen <janicelauritzen@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 09:41:21 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Donald,

I should mention that I did not cut the bloomstalks back at all.  In my spuria bed I usually wait until it is all dying back and then cut everything at once.  A lot of my spurias make bee pods and they are fun to plant.  So mine were not due to freezing or cutting at a certain time.

I cut the strange growths and planted them.  At least one of the two grew but I don't have anything different to show where they were so it seems to work.

Good luch with yours.  Hope the one you want decides to make a try at growing.

Jan in Chatsworth

donald <donald@eastland.net> wrote:
Hello Jan,

> I had this happen with a couple of Spurias in 2005. When I
>mentioned it at least 2 other club members had had it happen. We
>are in So. Calif, - Los Angeles - and freezing was NOT a factor.

Freezing was a factor here in that it killed the bud portion of the
stalk, but not the lower part. Timing has to be a major part of the
effect, I think. The same thing could probably be achieved by
cutting a growing stalk off at the right time under the right
conditions. That would be useful in salvaging a bloomout cultivar if
one knew the timing. And depending on what percentage would then put
on proliferations. Not every frozen bloomout is trying the trick and
the hort.net archives of Iris Talk indicate the phenomenon is not
common, to say the least. One frozen bloomout seedling that I'd
dearly love to salvage isn't trying. Not so far anyway. It will
probably shrivel and die sometime this summer as is the usual case
with stalks frozen in the fan. I do have lots and lots of experience
with those, unfortunately.

Donald

Be a PS3 game guru.

__._,_.___