Re: Re: HYB: New tectorum X bearded in full bloom

  • Subject: Re: Re: HYB: New tectorum X bearded in full bloom
  • From: Jan Lauritzen <janicelauritzen@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 09:08:37 -0700 (PDT)

Thomas,

Those are very interesting.  I don't remember ever seeing anything like them.  I guess they are not hot So. Cal. type irises.  What area are you in?  Do you get rain?  We saw lots of beardless types in Oregon that we would never see here.

Thank you for the pictures.

Jan in Chatsworth

thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com> wrote:
Jan,
It's definitely lots more difficult than the average
TB X TB cross, but on occassion, you WILL get seeds
from bearded crosses with Iris tectorum. But, I've
never heard of any other beardless species that will
cross with bearded ones.

I'm hoping this seedling won't "bloomout", because it
isn't like the other two tectorum X beardeds that I
have. I'd like to keep it alive, so that I can try to
verify its hybridity.

I'll attach a picture of those other two, so you can
see the typical "half beard / half crest" that I was
expecting to see.
PALTEC (Denis 1928) is pretty well known and was my
inspiration for trying these crosses. FLYING DRAGON is
my own hybrid. Here they are:

Jan Lauritzen wrote:

Thomas,

I didn't know it was possible to cross a beardless
with a bearded iris. Very interesting result.

Jan in Chatswort

http://mail.yahoo.com

Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

__._,_.___