Re: Photo: last AB seedling from TSXWR

  • Subject: Re: Photo: last AB seedling from TSXWR
  • From: "Francesca Thoolen" <arilpums@comcast.net>
  • Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 14:51:36 -0700

Elm, I looked up stratification on the internet and as I understand it, when it is applied to botany, it is the cooling and heating of the seeds in alternate fashion to break down the 'sleep' barrier in certain plants. This is done for certain trees. So I imagine when we plant aril seeds in a normal fashion, usually dry, they have to go thru several seasons of 'stratification' before they will germinate naturally. However years ago some tried planting the seed green and they had luck with this. So this year I am trying them with mine. However most of them will be OGB's and usually under ideal normal conditons they reasonably germinate. Years ago I used to embryo culture the odd crosses involving pure arils and I was rather successful in getting them thru the process, however, if there were any losses it was usually at transplant time. Now my eyes, even with a good magnifyng glass stand, won't let me do the job. So I am trying the 'green seed' method and see how that will work. I am starting with OGBs usually the easiest in the process. I am in the process of cleaning up the MDB, which includes some pumilas, and giving them some rose food, the proportions of which are milder in feeding but it has a systemic which I would then not have to spray and breathe. Some MDBs did very well and some just departed this world. Suslik is doing very well in 4 different pots (1 gal cans). If nothing else it is a survivor. Of all of the pumila seeds I got, 3 or 4 germinated and, of course, they were out of Suslik. One is about 1.5" to 2" high. It is a bee pod which was sent to me. I will be happy to learn what your research brings up re 't' factors in the parents used. Welcome Reward comes directly from pink breeding on the TB side.

Francesca