Unknown iris ID?

  • Subject: Unknown iris ID?
  • From: "Christopher P. Lindsey" <nospam@mallorn.com>
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 23:06:29 -0500

Hi everyone,

I'm not much of an irisarian and my ignorance is going to show. :)

For the longest time, my family has thought that the attached iris was
Iris pallida. It wasn't until recently (when I saw and *smelled* the
real thing) that I realized this was some other iris, but I have no
idea what.

It would be an older variety; it was planted liberally amongst peonies in
an old, Victorian house built in 1868 in the Chicago suburbs. We have
reason to believe that the plants were there at the turn of the century
based on an old painting of the house, but who's to say that they're
the same plants depicted by the artist? Still, based on the house's
history I'd find it unlikely that subsequent owners (until my parents)
did any landscaping.

The colors in the photograph are right, and the flower looks almost
exactly like I. pallida to me except for the lack of fragrance and a
slightly smaller flowers. The iris thrives in dry, heavy soil in
full sun or shade and reaches about 20-24" when blooming.

There is a much larger (4MB, 2332x3484 pixel) copy of the image at

http://www.mallorn.com/~lindsey/large-unknown-iris.jpg

in case you need to zoom in or anything.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Chris

http://www.bonvivantnursery.com/ Bon Vivant Nursery