RE: Good or Bad Insect -

  • Subject: RE: Good or Bad Insect -
  • From: "Linda Smith" <irisgrower@cableone.net>
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 06:54:47 -0700

Francelle,

Missed you at our show. Sorry about your surgery. It was smaller than usual. But the neat thing, it was inside rather than out in the tent.  So cooler and less wind problems. Are your iris blooming up here? We had one entered that we knew label to be incorrect.  We've about determine it is Conjuration. I'll insert a pix of it and see what you think.

I guess I thought cut worms were those big yukky  gray thing I find sometime when digging. I called them grub worms. I thought they ate the roots and maybe the base of the stalk.   I didn't realize they've climb a 40" stalk. They seem too big, bulky and lazy to go that far for food. Plus this hole was really tiny. Something appeared to use this hole for their nursery. Next time this happens, I'll try to take a little more time w issue.  It's just the first time I noticed it and so far it's not a major problem.

Now those little green worms like you find on tomatoes, I've not seen in this yard yet.  I think that's what I called a cut worm.

I do know I have lots of praying mantis here. I have pixs of the adults on that very window from late last year where I found that baby. So I know they like the environment there.

Linda in CW AZ