Re: Help- Conjuration maybe but no horn

  • Subject: Re: Help- Conjuration maybe but no horn
  • From: mike theissen <miketheissen@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 17:32:40 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Linda,   I grew Conjuration for several years and it was very inconsistant with the horns. I have had up to 30 bloom stalks and the flowers usually had 3 horns on terminal blooms, the other had 2-3 horns most of the time. I had it bloom without horns on any flowers one year also. I would suggest you feep an eye on it and see if any flowers show horns this year, if not give it another bloom season to see if it produces horns, because if it is Conjuration it will have horns.    Mike

Linda Smith <irisgrower@cableone.net> wrote:

I checked several sites and there are pixs w Conjuration that have no horn.  Maybe those people misidentified theirs also. On Daves site there are 12 pixs of Conjuration, about 2 of them have no horns.
Certainly the description says it is to have horns.
  • Any thoughts from anyone on this.?? Do these type of iris sometimes bloom w/o their horns.??

CONJURATION
    (Monty Byers, R. 1988), Sdlg. D1-1. TB, 36" (91 cm), M-L
    "S. white, edge lightly infused pale violet blue; F. white, suffusing to deep bright amethyst violet edge; white beard tipped tangerine; fuzzy white horns; ruffled. B-37-10: (Sky Hooks x Condottiere) X Alpine Castle. Moonshine Gardens 1989 HM 1991, AM 1994, Wister 1998, Dykes 1998"
These pixs I took of an iris that we feel was mislabeled, "American Classic," at our show and are still trying to find what it might be.

Any suggestions where to look further if it is not Conjuration.?

Conjuration -maybe- (4
Not America classi
Conjuration -maybe
Conjuration -maybe- (1