Re: Vavoom 5 falls 5 standards 5 style lobes/4-4-4 cross results

  • Subject: Re: Vavoom 5 falls 5 standards 5 style lobes/4-4-4 cross results
  • From: "Margie Valenzuela" <IrisLady@comcast.net>
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 22:40:31 -0700

Adam, that is so interesting.  That happened to me too - - using my TB Grand Canyon Gold ( a dependable 4-4-4 bloomer (terminal bud only)).

Adam and Matt, when I crossed it onto one of it's parents (which I believed to be the 4-4-4 carrier) it gave me a seed pod with 4 chambers of seeds instead of the normal 3 chambers.  The same thing happened when I crossed it onto itself, which I knew was a definite carrier ( got a 4 chambered pod).  Some of the same crosses resulted in 3 chamber pods as well. This year the seedlings from the 4 chambered seed pods bloomed for me.  Only the one I crossed onto itself rendered me another 4-4-4 blooming iris.  The other cross did not.  I tried using pollen from Season Ticket this spring (another dependable 4-4-4 iris), but none of the crosses took. I'll try again next year.  If you have the chance - - I'd recommend crossing it with another dependable 4-4-4 or 5-5-5 iris.  And good luck!

~ Margie V.
Oro Valley, AZ.