Re: Pastel question

  • Subject: Re: Pastel question
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net>
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 18:00:21 -0500

Mike  --  I have the same problem of preference for the bolder colors, with the same result as you describe.  Often, the softer shade is pointed out by a visitor.  (That has saved more than one seedling from the compost pile here.)Sometimes, though, the seedling, of whatever color and shade, just doesn't come into its own in the first couple of years  --  or even more  --  and you find yourself wondering "Why didn't I notice that?"  Also, sometimes the more delicately-shaded flowers really need to be separated and given their own space, where they can be appreciated on their own.  Those, at least, are my thoughts.  --  Griff

Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 10:33 AM
Subject: [iris-photos] Pastel question

My taste in flowers tends toward the bright, bold, flashy and interesting.  It is very difficult for me to walk through the seedling beds and actually see the softer tones, selfs or yellows.  When they are brought out of the seedling beds they usually are very nice but something that might have been passed up if I didn't force myself to double walk the beds.  Attached is a nice pastel SA out of Bride's Blush X ((Abiding Joy x Fogbound) X Social Blush), 11 buds, 38" tall, great vigor.  To me it is very pretty and elegant however I completely missed it's maiden and second year bloom, this is it's third bloom season and fortunately we caught it because it would have been destroyed if not seen this year.  Does anyone else have this same problem and was wondering how many folks on the list prefer the lighter shades or pastel colors in iris?
Mike Sutton