HYB: "red" seedling

  • Subject: HYB: "red" seedling
  • From: christian foster <flatnflashy@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 17:57:04 -0700 (PDT)

Surprize guys...

This one caught my eye as I made the long walk down the hill to the iris bed this afternoon.  I kept saying "What is that red thing?"  You see I had pinned this one as "just another purple" from the bud color.  Even peeking didn't have me curious.

Now, if y'all don't think that's a stunner... so far this cross has bloomed, a sunny yellow, a plummy purple, a yellow/plum bi-tone mirror image of its parent, and a tawny orange.  The orange opened in the midst of the rain and wind the other day so the bloom has been too damaged to truly see the color.

Three more siblings showing color, two look orange and the third looks the same as the red did- plain purple.

Cross is 05-119 McKellar's Grove X 03--009-02 (Jesse's Song x Rebound).  03-009-02 bloomed out, but is pollen parent on two pod out of three crosses.  Only one has bloomed from the other pod 05-152 (Edith Wolford) and it was a cream over lavender blue/bi-tone with presumed frost damage.  No visible stalks on other plants.

Christian

image/pjpeg