Expressions photo needed - tonight if possible

  • Subject: Expressions photo needed - tonight if possible
  • From: "KatMiniMaker" <katminimaker@bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 22:22:43 -0500

Dad discovered a mixed clump this afternoon which has a nice purple and an impressive white.  I do the cataloging while dad does the planting.  With our labeling system, row and position system and writing on every rhizome when dividing clumps this isn’t supposed to happen.  This is the second clump to experience “migration” which I believe happened when he was dividing and thinning last fall before back surgery.  Unfortunately, I was out of town when he worked the garden so our double check system wasn’t done.

The clump is labeled “Expressions”  He brought in a sample of one of the occupants.  The purple has a slight red tone for both falls and standards.  I don’t know if it is a trait or a quirk, but each fall has a slight crease centered the length of the fall over the mid-rib with an equally spaced darker purple vein running parallel and 1/8” from either side of the crease. The standards also have the crease framed by the darker veins.  The color is mid range and certainly not as deep as Dusky Challenger.  The fall and standard edges are slightly ruffled on the edge.  The falls are also a bit deeply ruffled about a third of the way in from the edge.  There is some darker purple veining in the both falls and standards.  The beard seems to have a blue base with a dusting of yellow.  Deep in the throat the beard is a yellow-orange.  Also deep in the throat, the falls have some brown on white/very light lavender tint.  You cannot see either the brown veining or the yellow-orange beard unless you come close to destroying the bloom.

I haven’t had much luck finding Expressions tonight and need to know if it is purple or white.  Even a link to one of the major gardens would be helpful.  Any help greatly appreciated.  I go out of town Wednesday morning but will check before I leave so he knows which stalks to label.

Thanks,

Kathy

Southern Kentucky