Re: CULT: Marking Culls

  • Subject: Re: CULT: Marking Culls
  • From: Autmirislvr@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 09:35:42 -0400

<<late bloomers >>

Not sure what you mean by late bloomers. Are you referring to summer
and fall bloom? Still first bloom? Or rebloom?

I no longer base selection on maiden bloom alone. If I did, I would
have lost two very good seedlings from one of the 2004 crosses.
1906=Another Journey (not introduced) X Mastery. Since almost nothing
bloomed in 2007, this bed got a 3rd chance. The pink, with purple haft
marks, came from this bed as did the two from the 1906 cross. In a
rare occurance, most of the strong seedlings from this bed are also
quite pretty.

Despite the above, it is rare that I choose a seedling for the rebloom
factor alone. If I hadn't learned this already, a reselct bed full of
1812 reblooming seedlings would have taught the lesson. Despite
impressing me in the fall of 2004, most will make the compost pile.

I was so disgusted with 2007 and the 2005 crop of seedlings (how they
behaved during the drought) that I was tempted to till in the both beds
and replant with new things. What a mistake that would have been.
Good thing I took a nap instead! <vbg>

Betty Wilkerson
Bridge In Time Gardens
KY