HYB: Small Flowered Talls

  • Subject: HYB: Small Flowered Talls
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 07:12:43 -0700 (PDT)

Attached is an image of a seedling of 'Kupari' (white
pallida) from pollen of 'Consummation' (MTB). The
flowers are relatively smallish, but the stalks are
well into the Tall Bearded range [see the yardstick in
the clump]. I think I read somewhere, that someone
(Paul Black maybe??) was unofficially calling irises
like these SFTB's (small-flowered tall beardeds).

I had been considering this seedling to be just a
breeder because it didn't really fit into a proper
class. But I enjoy it as it is, and wondered what
thoughts other people might have on irises that don't
fit into the class system.

I'll send a close-up of the flowers next, but keep in
mind this clump shot would look much better if we
hadn't just had several days of heavy rains and severe