Re: Re: HYB 064A11 & 064A4

  • Subject: Re: Re: HYB 064A11 & 064A4
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net>
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 01:22:06 -0500

Billy  --  Glad you asked.  It focused me on the seedling number, and I see that I left out a digit.  It should be 064A14, rather than 064A4.  Everything here is growing taller than usual this year.  That said, however, almost the whole lot of seedlings from this cross is super tall, and the stalks are sturdy, nearly an inch thick at the base.    The one parent, Brave New World, is growing 42" here this year, but 033R3 (the other parent) was taller, and so are several of its siblings.  Some of them stand up against the wind and rain, and others fall.  These two, like several others, I staked as soon as I saw the blooms, so one can't know for sure.  The rains here saturated the ground, and I have made more than one trip to the hardware store to buy more stakes.  They're doing a booming business in sump pumps, wet-dry vacs and pool vacs for the flooded basements hereabouts, including mine (twice, despite the sump pump).  Last year was a dry year, and the ones from this cross that then saw their maiden bloom were giants and stood up well.  Most, including these two, didn't bloom until this year.  --  Griff