Re: Cult: Fans splitting at base

  • Subject: Re: Cult: Fans splitting at base
  • From: Autmirislvr@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 21:04:20 -0400

Linda, I'm not an expert, but it looks like the result of rapid growth
on the inner parts once the outer leaf was mature. Probably weather
related.

In 2006 I had a lot of stalks that split. The plant reaches a mature
state and hardens off. Then, the weather heats up and the plants start
growing again. The mature plants can't expand that rapidly so they
split. The plant continues to grow from within. I matured seed pods
on such stalks that year. I kept a close eye on them because I was
afraid they'd collapse at any time, or at least the breaks would
interfer with the feeding of the pod. They matured fine. Plants have
now bloomed from them.

<<Does anyone know what causes this?>>

Betty W.
Bridge In Time Irises