  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 16:05:33 -0500

Hello Colleen,

Yes, the spurias do well here. 'Plant 'em and leave 'em alone' plants.
They get better every year. CINNAMON STICK and JET SET have done the best.
They have outgrown and outbloomed everything else. They are followed by
ADRIATIC BLUE, seen here. Growing in considerable shade doesn't seem to
inhibit them in the least, but neither does getting blasted by the sun. The
slower growing varieties are gradually making better clumps. I thought 3'
was enough room between cultivars, but they apparently migrate pretty far.
A stalk of CHOCOLATE FUDGE bloomed directly in the middle of another clump
this year. It clearly didn't stay in its designated area.

If I could provide the water, the Louisianas would do well here. I had
some, but the drought years took a heavy toll. Only LAURA LOUISE survived.
It bloomed this year but I can't say it's growing really well. Its
surprising how tough they are under drought conditions. Ultimately most
died, but they didn't die without a fight. They were doing well under
reasonable rainfall years even with the dry months that accompanied those
years. But for now I can't provide that water, though I have several
solutions in mind. May never happen, but it's nearly always in my mind.

>Thanks for the photo, that’s a Niswonger one I haven’t seen before. I’m
>sure Spurias >grow very well in your climate. Have you tried growing
>Louisianas in pots of acid potting >mix. I’m sure they would do well for
>Colleen Modra

JPEG image