In answer to Linda on Iris Photos.

I can't think of one introduced iris lost to the freeze last year. Out
of hundreds, maybe thousands, a couple were lost but it's hard to blame
it on the freeze. I didn't spot (or smell) any indication of rot after
the freeze. Even during the rain that followed.

With the exception of the beautiful deep colors, many things did not
look good this year. It's hard to say whether the cause was the freeze
last year, the drought that followed, strange weather this spring, or

Height was either under the standard or over the standard. Generally,
branching was nasty or non existent. For this reason, none of the
seedlings were pitched due to branching. Some were saved due to
branching. (by comparison)

Natural selection was at work on the older seedlings, but I'd say it
was the result of the drought rather than the freeze. I must say that
the ones lost had already shown signs of weakness in one way or
another. Ths strong vigorous seedlings survived. Even a few of the
apparent wimpy ones survived. (and bloomed)

For those interested in pot culture, my potted irises were a HUGE
success. Irises I'd had trouble with in the past, bloomed in complete
splendor. Cafe Bleu wouldn't set pods but bloomed with 3 stalks. Much
better than it ever did in the garden where it died twice. These are
in 3 & 5 gallon pots with a variety of potting soils. (NOT garden soil)

Speaking of survival--can a potted plant support 4 pods? I don't know
what went wrong--I put pollen on 5 blooms! <vbg> (two from frozen
pollen) I've raised pods in pots before, but never 4 on one stalk!

<<survived the freeze last year.>>

Betty Wilkerson
Bridge In Time Irises
Zone 6