Re: HYB: Breeding for turquoise?

  • Subject: Re: HYB: Breeding for turquoise?
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 06:21:34 -0700 (PDT)

John, Sorry about this slightly larger file size (it
said only 76 KB on my computer) but I wanted to make
sure you could see what I'm talking about.

Griff and Sharon, I've put a dotted white line around
the area I'm seeing as "kind of" aqua/turquoise. It's
at the very least, a less-red kind of purple. The ends
of the style arms are unabashedly purple and make for
a good comparison, so you can see the difference.
Maybe in a future generation, the color will be more
obvious than this trace -- I'm hoping so anyway! But
if you squint your eyes, do you see it?

And thanks for that idea to look at it under
magnification, I'll see if I can see anything that
way. I don't think that there's anything sunwise going
on though, on this one, since even in the early
morning, I can see these different colors in the buds
I'm prying open to pollinate. The falls, standards and
style ends are purple and the midribs of the style
arms are still this less purple color. Do you have any
images that show the greens that you were working
with? I'm guessing that they're arilbreds. Did you
give up on that line, or just put it on the back

Thanks for your thoughts guys.
Best wishes, Tom
Griff Crump wrote:
Tom -- In the photo at upper right, the midrib of
the upper left style arm of the yellow seedling
appears to show a trace of turquoise at about
midpoint. Is that what you see? -- Griff
Sharon McAllister wrote:
Have you examined them using a magnifying glass
hand-held microscope? Even 10X helps, but 30X really
shows the blend of pigments. Years ago, I did a lot
of work with greens and your photos remind me of some
of the blended colors I got when multiple pigments
were present. The hot New Mexico sun burns off some
exposed pigments, andI observed that the protected
style arms did retain the color better than the
exposed falls.

Sharon McAllister