Re: Re: HYB: Breeding for turquoise?

  • Subject: Re: Re: HYB: Breeding for turquoise?
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 05:39:54 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Sharon,
I see it! That's pretty cool!
I hope that I'm able to get that effect out onto the
falls of my diploid beardeds. Our sun (here in
Maryland) probably isn't as brutal as you get, but so
far, the color in the style midribs has been holding
strong, all the way until they wither.

And I've seen that banding effect (you mentioned in
other post) in the style arms of some irises. I
usually only see it when I've removed all the
standards and falls for pollinating, since most of
what I'm working with doesn't have open standards.

'Rosemary's Dream' is one that has pronounced bands.

Thanks and best wishes, Tom
Sharon wrote:

The first photo was too close to be in focus, but it
does show the colors in the wash on the fall. It
looks much like a shadow, but if you compare it with
the shadow cast by the standards you can see that the
wash itself was fully lit by the early morning sun.

The second one is of an older flower on the same
clump, after the wash had almost completely burned

Still looking for style arms that show the effect

Sharon McAllister