Re: HYB: Naples X Renown

  • Subject: Re: HYB: Naples X Renown
  • From: Robin Shadlow <rshadlow@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 20:32:25 -0700 (PDT)

Sorry Linda,

I missed this response.  I'm not sure I have anything more than a guess as to what is going on with the seedling.  To tell you the truth, I am not sure I really know for certain that I know what to classify Renown as.

I have seen it open inside, and without the sunlight to lighten it, it does appear to be a zonal.  It also has a pale yellow rim on the falls.  It is just speculation that the red wash may have been contributed by Naples.  I don't know that it has anything to do with the plicata allele, just something I was considering as an explanation as to why this addition to the zonal pattern popped up here.

I would imagine that it may be temperature dependent.

Not really sure where to go with it, could cross it on another of the red Renown seedlings, as one of the Popstar seedlings is quite red.  Also a Renown x Ocelot seedling is quite red as well.  Will need to try something.

Robin Shadlow
zone 5 NE

(who for someone who does not want to breed for red, somehow has a large number of red seedlings..hmmm)