Re: 06DFdp04

  • Subject: Re: 06DFdp04
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net>
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 13:49:22 -0500

Anita  --  Excuse me for overlooking this message.  Wednesday was the last day of hybridizing here, followed by a trip to Winterberry Gardens to try for some crosses that the rain had prevented here.  Yes, you're right, the resemblance is uncanny.  STEALTH FIGHTER  was one of the ones I wanted to do some late crossing with at Winterberry.  I had a couple of objectives in mind, one of which was to cross it with HAUNTING, but HAUNTING wasn't in the mood to surrender pollen  --  several blooms open, but either anthers were dried out or not yet opening.  I did make a couple of other crosses with STEALTH FIGHTER, but the HAUNTING cross will have to wait.  STEALTH FIGHTER is an interesting iris.  It first bloomed as an exceptionally tall plant in a line of short siblings.  The next couple of years, it was so scraggly that only the fact that it was labeled and mapped made it recognizable as the same plant.  Still, its flower saved it.  Then I moved it to full sun from the half-day sun where it had been originated.  Va-va-voom!  The height came back; the clump multiplied, and the rhizomes gained girth.  Then, it repeat-bloomed at the end of bloom season and re-bloomed in the fall.  At Winterberry yesterday, it was standing tall, un-staked as usual, dominating the bed around it.

I carried some frozen pollen with me on the 2-hour trip, using a little bag from National Geographic that's supposed to insulate what it carries.  The pollen was thawed by the time I got there.  Some appeared good; other was obviously dried-out and no good, apparently the result of the condition it was in when I froze it.  I've never been able to get consistently good results from several different methods of freezing, no matter the apparent condition of the pollen when first extracted.  --  Griff