RE: Fw: [iris] RE: HYB: Rose scent

  • Subject: RE: Fw: [iris] RE: HYB: Rose scent
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 04:01:19 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Griff,
That's a pretty iris to have such a nice scent too!

I have two seedlings that I think have what Colleen was referring to when she wrote:

"While irises such as Bev Sills, Silkirim etc, do have a light pleasant perfume it's not in the same class as the strong Jasmine perfume as those I mentioned, before, have. This perfume can be smelt 10 ft away on a warm day, and people react very positively to it."

Both of my fragrant-from-a-distance seedlings are from heavy KUPARI ancestry. This glaciata pallida has a strong sweet scent too. No need to bend down to smell these guys - and yet it's not the kind of scent that becomes overpowering. This would agree with Colleen's observation that people react very positively to it.

On a side note, two other scent observations... I smelled the Varda Gorge clone of Iris reichenbachii, when it was in bloom recently and it has an unusual iris scent that I've smelled before, but am having a hard time remembering which iris smelled like this. It's almost "chocolately", but not really... maybe it was one of the variegata species clones.
Also have you ever smelled the MTB VIBRANT ROSE? I know it sounds crazy, but every time I smell that one I think "hot dogs".
Take care, Tom