PHOTO: My first-ever SDB seedlings

  • Subject: PHOTO: My first-ever SDB seedlings
  • From: Elmsterj@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 9 May 2009 00:27:41 EDT

Hello all.....

    You may be asking why I have made some SDB crosses when I've worked with arils and arilbreds for so long.  I wanted to try to come up with some different colors that I could use in hybridizing for arilbreds.  Also, I wanted to try for something of my own that had orange or tangerine beards to try to bring those colored beards to arilbreds via SDBs.  These 2 siblings came from the cross of (Eye of Newt X Pele).

Elm

Seedling #1 gave me falls with a copper fall spot that is lightly touched in rust.  The falls are nicely flared and lightly ruffled.  I want to bring that copper coloring into arilbreds.

Seedling #2, whose photo was taken on a windy and rainy day, has the copper coloring overlaid with brown, and there is a golden yellow line that bisects the spot on the falls.  The falls are more heavily ruffled and somewhat tucked.  The flower is smaller than that of seedling #1.