Re: HYB: Hybridizing with Iris aphylla

  • Subject: Re: HYB: Hybridizing with Iris aphylla
  • From: Vicki <jvickic@comcast.net>
  • Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 09:10:30 -0700

You must be thinking I am ignoring you.  I am not!
Your emails arrived the day we had disconnected our modem in preparation
to returning home to Oregon from our winter home in southern California.
I just now located the emails you sent to me on the 16th of March.
You have some very interesting and varied seedlings. I especially like
the proportions of the iris hybrid f.   There might be some plicata
producing gene involved, especially noticeable in hybrid f.
Is your form of dachica (maybe dacia?) 48 C  tetraploid?
Fancy Dress X species Iris dachica (dacia?) is beautifully branched and
such nice ruffles and the flowers well above the foliage.
Only 3 of the clones of I. aphylla you sent us sometime back have
survived and none of them are blooming this spring. I am going to move
them to a different location. I think the soil lacks the necessary
elements to grow properly.
We had a very cold, snowy and icy winter here in Oregon. Fortunately,
Jim and I missed it all and were quite comfortable living so far south.
We were only 10 miles north of the Mexican border.
Our 20 foot X 40 foot X 10' h greenhouse collapsed under the weight of
the snow and ice but we only used it to grow tender vegetables. i.e.
tomatoes, tomatillas, cantaloupe, artichoke, etc.
Since Jim can no longer garden, I may not rebuild it.
Jim's health continues to decline. I have been taking him to Doctors at
least 2 X a week.
I am cutting way back on the number of iris I am keeping.
Will Plotner of Wildwood Gardens in Molalla, Oregon is introducing our
iris. It became too much for me to do. I did all the photography, made
the catalogs, did the mailing, and trying to care for both Jim and the
garden plus everyday chores. I am not Wonderwoman! So Will kindly
stepped in to help us out.
Please keep in touch.

the control of the moderator of this list. Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)