HYB: Crazy For You X Pinkness maiden

  • Subject: HYB: Crazy For You X Pinkness maiden
  • From: "Mary Swann-Young" <MryL1@msn.com>
  • Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 14:58:03 -0400

Lousy substance on the standards.  Don't expect them to
improve much next year.  So many maidens look so much bigger
and better a year or two later, that I have given up on any
culling for bad branching/bud count on maidens.
A lot of what I've been doing is "You can't get there from here
... well, certainly not in one cross... probably take the rest of
my life."
Like you, I really like the wire rims.  Not so attracted to indistinct
or blended rims.  I have a strong dislike for open standards.  To
me it detracts from the elegant lines of the form.  Then too, it's
like a house with no roof, and the wind and rain here rip them up
more easily. A convex form resists pressure - basic physics.
Don't mind open standards at all on the little guys, especially if
there's something to see in there.
I make a fair number of "What if?" crosses each year.
What if this thing reblooms? What am I going to wish I'd crossed
it with? I can save a whole year (maybe more!) by going ahead and
doing it while I have the opportunity.
Stuff happens!
Mary Lou