Re: AB: using TEL AVIV pollen
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com

Well those are worth the wait
:)

From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
Date: Sat, 1 May 2010 09:08:54 -0500
To: <iris-photos@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [iris-photos] AB: using TEL AVIV pollen

I've tried for a long time to use TA and pretty much been frustrated with
the results. Poor germination and weak plants have pretty much been the
story. Still I persisted and this year have plants that - so far - are
growing well. The top bloom is (ZERZURA x JEHOSAPHAT'S RELIANCE) X TEL
AVIV. The bloom is a bit rough and the standards wanted to gap open too
much, but it's something to work with. There are a couple of siblings that
are also growing well, but the bloom stalks got frozen. Maybe next year.

The second photo is a copycat cross of ZERZURA X TEL AVIV. Walter Moores
had a photo of one of his seedlings of the same cross and I liked what I saw
and made the copycat cross. Not quite there on this bloom, but better form
than the other seedling. There were two more siblings from the cross that
waited another season to germinate so I'll have to wait to get any
comparisons.

Both have pods, so maybe there will be some progression down the line. I've
been in the habit of purchasing TA every year or so because it's had a
strong tendency to behave like a biennial under my growing conditions.
Usually looks and blooms great the second year, then completely dies. I
hope these don't do that because there isn't an option for getting a
replacement from Superstition Iris Gardens if that happens.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA