Re: Re; AB: using TEL AVIV pollen (COMMENTS on form)
  • Subject: Re: Re; AB: using TEL AVIV pollen (COMMENTS on form)
  • From: "d7432da" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Sat, 01 May 2010 21:07:41 -0000

Your comments are much appreciated. But the one with the more open standards was the one in the top photo. I had no problem the ZxTA seedling in that area. The photos simply didn't pick up the open standards of the (ZxJR)X TA. Nearly all my photos this year were taken under very windy conditions and it's hard to get the inherent form of a bloom when they are blowing about. You just have to settle for what you get. It's true I generally prefer closed standards, but I don't always object to open standards and they are quite often something easy to live with if everything else works. The bigger problem with the (ZxJR) X TA seedlings was really that of coarse texture and too much waving edges on both the standards and falls. Added to the open standards, they all added up to too many negatives. But the bloom also has some good qualities in an area where I've been short on finding something that works, so I was happy to get it and happy to see it sets pods.

But the standard descriptions for ABs are interesting. I'm not a judge and haven't read those. Basically I compare my seedlings to plants I grow that have been officially introduced. Those range from old historics to intros as new as last year. I compare them in terms of growth, habits (snaking, size of bloom in relation to stalk height - that sort of thing), color, markings. All those things. I couldn't tell you how good a seedling of mine is, but I can always say how they compare to what else I've grown or am growing that has been introduced. Always specific to my growing conditions, of course.

I think I'll post that other derivative of the experimental line. You can check out the standards on it. They were interesting.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA