AB: the other experimental sdlg
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: AB: the other experimental sdlg
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Sat, 1 May 2010 18:16:48 -0500

This cross of (FRIENDSHIP x (ROSEMOHR x ESTHER, THE QUEEN)) X ENERGIZER is a
cousin and possibly a half sibling to the three I posted last month,
depending on the true pollen parent of the other one. It was the first to
bloom. I was extremely pleased when it came. My expectations were so very
low with respect to what I'd likely get and it exceeded those expectations
by a quantum leap. So the standards. When this flower first fully opened
they gapped widely. This is 2nd day bloom. Those standards closed as the
bloom aged. By the 3rd day they hardly gapped at all. Never seen that
happen here before. Usually with the high winds they get battered around
and sometimes get flattened so they lie over the falls. But all the blooms
on this one gradually closed over their lifespan. As seen in the photo, I
can live with them and the 3rd day was still better, but when they open and
try to look like a magnolia bloom I just have trouble accepting it.

Normally I like stronger colors and patterns than this one displays, but I
loved the colors here. The white-ivory that made up the interior and heart
of this bloom gave an effect very near to the zonal pattern. It really made
the bloom pop. I could go for a self in that particular shade in any class.
I've never seen quite that color on any bloom. It was unmarked. The dots
that make up the signal area around the beard traveled back and on the
shoulders getting more and more sparse, but there were no lines. I cropped
a photo hoping you can see some of that.

And it set pods. Both terminal blooms on both stalks. The photo is a
little out of focus. I was holding my hand about four inches behind to give
perspective and taking the photo with only one hand. There are one or two
folks here who are familiar enough with how a pod looks I figured it was
good enough. Between this plant and the other three, there are twelve pods
growing. One of the reasons a smattering of hail gives me something of an
anxiety attack. Currently there are enough pods that I might never get
again growing out there, I may have to be medicated just to keep those
attacks manageable. Not to mention the time spent getting them and the
years lost if you lose them. The results of the blooms from these lines was
enough impetus to have me try the original parents again and there are half
a dozen pods growing on them again. A bit of reprieve from the compost pile
or further banishment to the purgatory bed.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA

JPEG image