Re: ADMIN: Photo Sizes
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: ADMIN: Photo Sizes
  • From: John I Jones <jijones@usjoneses.com>
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 22:08:14 -0700

On May 2, 2010, at 8:30 AM, Betty Ann Gunther wrote:

> I am with you until you get to the part about resampling and using
> high
> compression. What programs do you use for this and what do you
> select on
> those programs? I use Photoshop, in spite of its slowness in coming
> up,
> and I select to save for email. Then how do I resample with
> compression?
> Betty G.

Betty,

Since you are using Photoshop, under the Image Menu/ Image Size
"Resampling" is one of the options to use when manipulating an image.
If for instance you want to reduce the DPI from 300 to 72 but not
change the display size of the photo you would select "Resample"

I don't have Save for Email in my Photoshop (CS2 several versions
behind the current) so I use Save for Web. Then I can select a
"Quality" level. Quality and Compression are inversely proportional.
The lower the quality the higher the compression (and the smaller the
file). Even at high compression (lowest quality) most photographs
will look fine on the web or email.

Any jpeg generating program should allow you to choose the quality
of the result.

John