HYB: aborted pods
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: HYB: aborted pods
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 07:47:13 -0500

Seeing more of this than I like this year. Wondering about the cause(s).
These had reached the size of my little finger. I always see some of this
when the pod parent is a plant with unbalanced chromosome sets. I think in
those cases the cause is probably genetic where things just aren't right.
The whole pod in the top photo that I cut open to show only one seed is that
type. I also cut through that seed and the embryo was there, but had
shriveled so essentially it was a hollow seed. No reason for the plant to
continue to spend energy trying to get it to maturity. I'm not as sure
genetics are the cause for the one showing more seeds. I think the pod
would be from one that would more likely be a balanced chromosome set, or
amphidiploid. Not sure because its pedigree has some unbalanced types in
the near background. But visually it was the stem that began to turn yellow
first, just as it does on the top of those with spent blooms and no pod. As
if the plant didn't receive information that there was a real pod forming,
so began shriveling as if nothing had happened with the bloom and quit
carrying food to the pod. Very frustrating sometimes. When they are true
balloons or just one or two seeds that tried to form, it's not so bad. I'd
have like to try that cross showing seeds. The photo shows two chambers and
on further dissection the third chamber had an additional five seeds. There
are more showing signs of giving up, but I'm careful not to yank them off
until the entire bottom of the pod is shriveled because I've had pods where
seeds formed in only one chamber and only the attached sides with empty
chambers shrivel and dry up. The look funny, but the chamber with seeds has
stayed green to the stem and matured. Can't remember if any such pod
yielded a plant though. I hate it when they wait 'til they are finger or
thumb sized pods and then abort.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA