Re: HYB-NOVELTY - question
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: HYB-NOVELTY - question
  • From: "flatnflashy" <flatnflashy@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 23:59:49 -0000

I think it would be about the crease. If its standards are weak, or just damaged by the wind there will be a crease across the midrib and that crease will bend toward flat.

Another way you can tell is look at the ovary and how the petals are attached. A non-flat will have the same old oval ovary you're used to seeing. On a flat it's as if the bloom didn't grow a neck first, it just pops out of the ovary; the result is that flattie ovaries look dented.

I think that there are a few registered flatties that only have three beards, and there are definitely non-flatties that have at least partial beards on otherwise normal standards. So.. I wouldn't trust the beards... entirely.

christian