AB: family group
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: AB: family group
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 15:14:28 -0500

Don't know about this. There are really seven photos here, but they are put
into one box. The whole thing is under 200KB for multiple photos, but the
way it's done is only a single photo. So if this is not permitted, I
promise never to do it again.

It's something I do for myself. Convenient in the winter months. My own
file photo is huge. This cross of RED EARTH X (LIGHTS OF ARABIA x DESERT
EMBROIDERY) is instructive to me. I used the pollen parent a lot and a lot
of my new seedlings this year came via that plant (upper right photo). I'm
not familiar with the immediate ancestors of RED EARTH and that's too bad.
Despite how the wind affected the form of the blooms, this cross was
essentially similar in form from one to the other. With this group and
compiling some of the other groups using different pod parents, I can begin
to get an idea of the liabilities and advantages the pollen parent is going
to transmit. Since the form was consistent here, the interesting thing is
pattern and color. The main thing on these was a stronger signal pattern in
a couple than I'd have expected. Despite how it shows in the photo here, RE
does not have white standards. Nearly white, but not quite. So the color
didn't have any surprises. Surprises are nice, but it's also nice to have
an idea of what a plant may be furnishing to the future plant contained in a
seed.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA