Re: Cartenoid Patterns
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: Cartenoid Patterns
  • From: irischapman@aim.com
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 11:56:17 -0400

Here are two plicatas, with anthocyanin and cartenoid pigments distributed differently from each other..

For others  plicatas with  different distribution of cartenoid and anthocycanin, there are Spirit Guide, Witch's Cauldren Co-ed Flirt, Paradigm shift, Cyclops, Greased Lightning, and all of the related Ring Around Rosie group, and of course Expose and that group.

Dotting of cartenoid  around edge of a Terry Joyce  or Bride's Halo  pattern is not  a rare event. Haft dotting combined with Terry Joyce or Bride's halo is seperate genetics, one for haft dots and other for distribution patern.

There is also the yellow patern with yellow ring around fall, on white ground while inside of standards have a rim but outside is solid.

Of course all of these can be combined with plicata anthocyanin distribution.

And sometimes cartenoid  is distributed one to one with  anthocyanin of plicatas and more often independenly.

So far controlling factors are elusive. And exact genetics are also elusive.

To test if a cartenoid pattern is a plicata, I would suggest a test cross to a plicata, one with both anthrocyanin and cartenoid. You would get up to half seedlings with  anthocyanin and all with cartenoid. All the seedlings with anthocyanin  would need to have anthocyanin distributed in a recognizable plicata pattern.  Of course this would prove that the  plant with a cartenoid pattern is a plicata genotype, but not necessarily a "Carenoid  plicata"

Crossing  two  "Cartenoid Plicata" together is another test.  If each parent has only one "I" gene, then 1/4 of seedlings will have anthocyanin, and these will need to be of a plicata phenotype. And all of the cartenoid patterns will need to follow predictions of equivalent patterns on an anthocyanin plicata.

Lots of potential traps lying in wait here.

I currently have about 3000 median seedlings coming into bloom right now. About  half are of plicata genetics, and a majority of them have a mix of cartenoid and anthocyanin. A real rainbow  of odd mixes of colours.

Solid purple in middle of pink lines and dots. Violet wash (like Expose) in centre of white, Pink, rings, solid pink,  Heavy Burgandy Rose luminata with bright red beard, and many more. To hard to list all. Too much to do to send photos  right now.

But some of previous years  oddballs can be found  on seedling pages on my website

chapmaniris.com

Each year gets more exotic combinations.

And lots of solid reds with orange or yellow beards, with both parents being plicata. This is not new, I have been getting this for years.

Black Lightning is a solid black phenotype, but is a plicata genotype.  This year I have discovered a sport of Black Lightning which is a plicat-uminata  plicata.

Lots of undiscovered territory.

Chuck Chapman

JPEG image

JPEG image