Re: HYB:TB: Dusky Grape X Twilight Fancies
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: HYB:TB: Dusky Grape X Twilight Fancies
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 13:11:46 -0400

Don't worry Rose, it won't go to compost. I couldn't think of anything
to mix it with this year, but maybe another year.

Maybe one of the RENOWN descendants will eventually work with it.

The challenge will be finding something with clean enough hafts and with
sturdy enough stalks to keep this one from deteriorating. In the
crosses I've been able to make here, TWILIGHT FANCIES tends to give
thin, weak stalks, & DUSKY GRAPE gives very tall ones. While this one
stayed standing here in the vale, so does DG, & I know that DG regularly
hits the ground in better growing conditions & I suspect this one would too.

Some of the RENOWN crosses are giving nice chunky stalks here, & while
it has given messy hafts to all the anthocyanin pigmented children here
so far, I haven't given up on it. One pod on DUSKY GRAPE X RENOWN this
year, but I'm afraid that will wind up being tall and skinny too.
Something that reblooms has a pod on it from SATURN pollen this year,
but I can't remember right now what it is. SATURN isn't reported to
rebloom as far as I know, but has ROMANTIC EVENING in it, which does,
and is a nice clean hafted thing.

Sorry, Rose, you got me thinking out loud! I'm sure you meant what
existing cultivar would give rebloom, and I was thinking about what
would work here in the vale!

My guess is any good cycle or summer rebloomer cross would give some
rebloom seedlings. But I don't know of one that would combine with it
to keep the color and not give messy hafts and skimpy or weak stalks.

<Hi Linda, I really like this one, what could you cross it to that would
give it a "rebloom" chance?
Seems much to nice to let slip away.

Rose Kinnard
Fredericktown, Mo