Re: AB: family for Elm, mostly
  • Subject: Re: AB: family for Elm, mostly
  • From: "d7432da" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 00:01:06 -0000

Ha! I've been doing it a while now and I still don't have a feel for what a cross can produce! Even someone with the expertise of Chuck gets surprised as he pointed out on the 'intense' seedling he posted. If I grow the grandparents as well as the parents I do marginally better, but generally I'm terrible at guessing or predicting what'll come out of a cross. I'm beginning to do better at predicting some traits coming out of some parents when I've used them, but they tend to have more to do with form and substance than color if there's much of a wild color card anywhere in the background. I don't mind that, really. Good thing I don't. I rather think the best get surprised relatively often.