Re: HYB: pod parents
  • Subject: Re: HYB: pod parents
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 15:30:14 -0400

Thanks, Betty and Donald  --  These postings are valuable for the ideas they pass around.  For several years, I kept my hybridizing materials in a light-weight multi-tray fishing tackle box as I moved around the garden.  As carrying along a garden stool became necessary, I found it a chore to move both it and the tackle box every time I needed to move on to a new flower, a new bed, or another plot several miles away.  Last year, I bought a carpenter's apron (actually a belt with several roomy pouches), and also some multi-chambered clear plastic pill carriers.  I carry a supply of little round stick-on labels to denote which chamber contains which pollen, and I now move around the gardens unencumbered and with everything literally at hand  --  except the 7 X 10" notebooks with the cross records and the garden maps (still trying to figure an easy way to carry those!)
-- Griff
Griffin's Den
Sent: Friday, May 21, 2010 7:11 AM
Subject: Re: [iris-photos] HYB: pod parents

<<in a folder for dreaming and reference and
speculation >>
I started doing this a few years ago.  This year I feel I may have perfected the process, for me.  I bought a canvas garden bag with pockets sewn inside.  It is big enough to carry my camera along with anything else I might need while on daily garden rounds.  It always has a few paint pens, tags, garden labels etc.. It has really cut down on the extra trips and the over all frustration.
When I'm done recording the day's crosses, I download the pictures.  I find I tend to forget what they are if I don't download and name daily.  Thank goodness for digital cameras!
Once bloom season, is over I compile a yearly seedling folder, and then I do contact pages within the folder.  I printed the 2010 contact pages yesterday.  Also, have a large pegboard and can put all of the contact pages on the board and move it around the house, depending on where I want to do my dreaming.  They also fit into folders I have with plastic sleeves, making them even more portable.
Betty W.
KY Zone 6