Re: Re: HYB: New seedling - Renown
  • Subject: Re: Re: HYB: New seedling - Renown
  • From: Betty Wilkerson <Autmirislvr@aol.com>
  • Date: Sun, 1 May 2011 17:45:22 -0400 (EDT)

Linda, it's the wider, taller, and healthier looking foliage I was referencing.  If anything, some verge on being oversized.  Not for me, but I'm really adverse to narrow strappy and flimsy foliage.  By healthy, I'm thinking more of a substantive look.  I've not noticed any problem with leaf spot.
<<It does seem to add chunkiness to stalks tho.>>

As a rule, I don't have much trouble with leaf spot.  Here, at home, much of that is due to my mowed paths and landscape fabric.  The "no splash" effect.  Good to hear they also behave away from home.
<<I've not noticed any tendency to leaf spot in most of your
kids so far. Curious.>
I've been on a campaign to find seedlings that are from rebloom background, but have a certain set of characteristics to use as pod parents--tall, well branched, multiple buds, and healthy.  It makes my day when one of these open.  It's happened a couple of times with this new batch.  You're watching a new one and it's tall with great branches and when it opens, it's pretty too!  Or at least pleasant?  Wow!
To make the season even better, a few in the reselect bed have shown off in this way. How do they know when I'm just about ready to show them the shovel?  :-)
On the down side, with over 30 stalks, Lunar Whitewash has not produced one pod either way!  So much moisture in the air?  (Did make me go out and transplant the seedlings it produced last year. )
Betty W.
KY Zone 6