Re: Genteel - Crystalline Edges
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: Genteel - Crystalline Edges
  • From: Betty Wilkerson <Autmirislvr@aol.com>
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 15:59:55 -0400 (EDT)

<<How tricky is tricky?  I'm interested in those edges, but have found few people who know about them. >>
Jill, I've not grown Genteel so I'm not a 100% sure I know what you are referencing.  A clear edge can be mistaken by some judges as weathering of a bloom.  I've seen judges dismiss a bloom due to this type of edge when I knew it had just opened.  (I've clerked a lot)

Then, if you're talking about a shiny glittery edge, it can often be effected by weather and soil.  Some of these things don't show up in all conditions.  Even the gilt edge . . . gold or yellowed or with a brown line . . . can look so different from area to area.

In all honesty, I'm not an expert in breeding them.  I've worked with Next Millennium and found I lost the edge in the first generation because I didn't breed to one like it.  Since my goal is rebloom rather than gilt edges, I've not found the opportunity to work on it further.  I don't have a collection of such irises.

Would be nice to hear from people that have chased the edge.  Anyone?

Betty W.