ADMIN: File Size
  • Subject: ADMIN: File Size
  • From: John I Jones <jijones@usjoneses.com>
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 08:03:41 -0700

I guess it is time for one of my periodic reminders about the size of the files that are sent to the iris-photos list.

JPEG or GIF are best formats to use to post a photo. Please remember that some people do not have fast internet connections, so try to keep your picture file sizes to 50 KB or less. If you want to send multiple pictures in the same message, please limit your total message size to 200KB.

If you have a large photo that you want to share, you can add it to the Photo Album section on iris-photos site at Yahoo.

You could then send a message to the list identifying the picture! . I would prefer that you attach a small version of the picture to the message you send so that the picture gets added to the archives.

The list has 10 GB of storage available. This means that periodically I will have to go in and clear out older pictures (unless you are considerate enough to delete your own files after a reasonable time)

So if you have some large pictures that you just have to share, or one that someone has requested, post them to the group Photo Album with a "minnie me" attached to a list message.

My process is to use a program like Photoshop, Picture It or Microsoft Office Picture Manager to! first set the picture to 72 dpi, then I resample the image to approximately 4 X 5 inches and when I save it, set the jpg compression to get down to the file size I want. Setting the dpi and the picture size lets me control the display size.

Again, 50KB or smaller is the recommended size and lots of folks get them under 40KB. If you want to send multiple pictures in the same message, please limit your total message size to 200KB.

John                | "There be dragons here"
                         |  Annotation used by ancient cartographers
                         |  to indicate the edge of the known world.

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Director, American Iris Society
Chai! rman, AIS Committee for Electronic Member Services

Subscribe to iris@hort.net by sending:
Subscribe iris

Subscribe to iris-photos at: